Monday, November 14, 2016

Romance to last a lifetime

I really enjoy taking my wife out on dates. We talk and laugh and look in each other's eyes. There are many times when I feel we share each other's heartbeats, and breathe the same breaths. It's wondrous and surprising, bewildering and enchanting, magical and completely real. In her, I see all my dreams come true. Yes, miracles do happen--she agreed to marry me, and amazingly still appreciates my company. I can't imagine life without her. She's my soul-mate.
 
 
When I was a pining teenager, yearning for the tender kisses of love and finding them only in books and music, I comforted myself with the promise that someday my day would come. Funny thing is, I never saw it coming. Actually, when I met her, she fast became my ... best friend. There wasn't any romance in the relationship at all. We talked about everything and nothing at all. I wanted her insight and wisdom, and I revealed things to her I've never told anyone else. We got to know each other and I liked her a lot. I trusted her completely.
 
Sometime in the mix, friendship moved into something much deeper--love. I still can't place my finger on the exact time it happened. Actually, I'm not even sure I understood what romantic love was, but I was willing to take the risk with her. We prayed constantly and took it slow. She was much more eager, but never pushed me. Our friendship changed to love and deepened every day. Our love for each other is still maturing, each day. I can hardly imagine a richer love, yet I know in 25 more years it will be far beyond what I understand today.
 
Like I said, miracles do happen.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment