Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

When you first read the story of Snow White, did you ever wonder what the mirror would say if you asked the question yourself? I've never considered myself beautiful--naturally, since I'm a man--yet, I always wanted to have the aspect of beauty. It seems like these days we hear so much about self image, self-love, and all about self. But, beauty isn't about any of that. Real beauty is generous and humble, kind and forgiving, loving and confident. Yes, beauty is far more than outward appearance.
 
Funny thing is, in the story the gorgeous (and evil) queen gets destroyed in the end. Sure, the story has a moral--it's a kid's story after all. Beauty is fleeting, like flowers blooming in a field. Even so, beauty is wonderful to behold. We naturally treasure beautiful things, create beautiful art, and love beautiful music. We are created to appreciate beauty.
 
So, why do we get so preoccupied with it? Why do we ignore the incredible beauty all around us? I suppose it's also in our nature to be blind to it. Funny that. I'm not the first to point out these things, and I have no doubt there will be plenty more books confronting the subject. In the end, we need to satisfy our longings with confidence and quiet assurance. If we chase the wind, we catch nothing. Take a breath and enjoy the beauty all around you. Stop and watch the birds, count the clouds, and listen to the trees. You'll find your confidence growing, I promise.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment