Saturday, November 5, 2016

Movie review: Doctor Strange

"Doctor Strange" is the new Marvel movie and I loved it. One thing you should know before seeing it: this movie deals with other dimensions and head-trippy visuals. This is the first movie I've seen where I think seeing it in 3-D is worth the added depth, because it's useful and adds to the experience. Anyway, the story concerns an arrogant self-important neurosurgeon who has his whole world turned over. This movie brings the concept of magic to the Marvel universe (though, they actually spend a bit of time saying it's really just a different kind of perception and not hocus-pocus). Because of that setup, there is plenty of zipping around and time distortion and all kinds of monkey business.
 
The story is a fairly simple reluctant hero. There's the wise old teacher, embittered outcasts, helpful students, and plenty of tricks. I feel they didn't spend much time on the training scenes (mostly because what does it matter really) so they could get to the meat of the plot and let the bad guy do his thing. I'll admit I was honestly surprised at the method used to win, and was happy it made sense within it's own world building. With a story this weird, it's pleasant to see it following it's own rules.
 
Most important for a movie, this was fun! I had a blast. There weren't any times I wanted to break for the bathroom, or check how much popcorn was left. I was engaged throughout the whole movie. More importantly, I found myself reacting viscerally at many times--two words: car crash--and felt a sense of leaving a breathing world behind when I left the theater. Yes, there are plot holes, but why focus on those--especially since nearly any story has them--when there was so much fun in this movie? I loved it. If you enjoy the Marvel superhero movies, then you'll enjoy "Doctor Strange."
 
Go see it!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment