Thursday, December 1, 2016

Wisdom teeth ... makes wise?

I've been told that wisdom teeth are so named because it shows the person is now old enough to be wise. Erm, no. For me, I'm blessed with a small mouth and giant teeth, so I had mine taken out pretty early. I've heard that some people manage to keep them and are then apparently quite wise. Should the story include a penalty for having the wisdom teeth pulled out? Hmm, that would make for a better urban legend, I think.
 
Trouble is, getting teeth pulled hurts. A lot. And, getting four monster molars pulled at the same time is a prescription for agony. We all have ways of dealing with pain, but pain in your mouth is one of the worst kinds. You can't get away from it. It's not like you can stop moving your jaw for long periods. My trouble is that my tongue seems to have a life of its own, and the silly thing keeps probing at places it shouldn't. Result? Ouch.
 
Maybe wisdom teeth do make you wise after all? You learn quite a lot about pain and managing discomfort. Those are definitely worthwhile lessons. And, life serves up quite a few painful teaching moments, that's for sure. I just wish we didn't have to go through the pains first. But, I'd bet we wouldn't learn anything if it didn't hurt when we did wrong. There's another life lesson.
 
Wow, wisdom teeth do make you smerter!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment