Friday, December 16, 2016

Star Wars-Rogue One movie review (no spoilers here)

 
My son and I went to see the new Star Wars movie, "Rogue One." I love Star Wars, particularly the original trilogy. This movie, if you didn't know, is about how the rebels get the plans for the Death Star (the planet busing movie from the original Star Wars--now known as "Episode IV, A New Hope"). This movie nicely slots in right before it, providing a welcome new world to rampage around in. "Rogue One" is loads of fun! I loved it.
 
I'm sure some people will look for, and find, plot problems and nitpicks. But, the movie focuses on story and creates deeply provoking characters. Yes, there are call outs to well-known characters (mainly simple cameos), but this movie is all about new people. The actors clearly were having a good time and there's plenty of chemistry between them. This is a story about courage and sacrifice for the greater good. I'm all for more stories like it.
 
"Rogue One" breaks Star Wars tradition in a lot of ways, but the most surprising was that it doesn't feature a title crawl spelling out the story. Yippee! We dive straight in to the action. We are with the main character the entire movie, and get to know her hopes and pains very well. Darth Vader is back in his true role--the big and nasty muscle of the Empire--though I'm not quite sure what to think of him. As we have time to process, I hope to find people like the portrayal.
 
The movie ends as it must. However, if you think you know what happens because you know Princess Leia has the Death Star plans at the end ... well, you've watched Star Wars before. This movie is about how it happens, and it's a terrific ride. I'm glad that piece was added to the puzzle. It's a good story that deserved to be told. I can't give a better compliment as a writer.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment