Thursday, December 22, 2016

Fun in the snow

Like many children, I remember making snow angels, snowball fights (not with icy snow though, that's mean), snow caves, snow forts, and simply diving into snow drifts. I lived where there was lots of snow and sorely miss it these days. My children did get an opportunity to experience a genuine white-out blizzard though--and I made sure they got out in it and remembered the experience. I think snow is beautiful and inspiring. It's pure magic for a kid.
image credit
Of course, as you grow older, you find yourself driving in the snow and it's a lot less enjoyable. Well, many people think so, but I'm not one of them. I love driving in snow and ice, and have gotten pretty good at it. Deep snow isn't fun to walk through and it sure isn't fun to scoop out a driveway full of the stuff. But, it's all worthwhile when you look out your back windows and see a lawn of shining snow. Trees and shrubs look astounding with a nice coat of snow and ice. Something deep inside us marvels at simple beauty and we shouldn't turn aside when we experience it.
 
I talk a lot about recapturing the joys of childhood because we adults forget too easily. There's nothing wrong with sitting down and watching anthills, or listening to thunderstorms, or marveling at a shooting star. We lose the wonder, the joy, the thrill of discovery, and delirious fun of being alive. So, find some snow and jump in. Flail your arms, make a snow angel, and don't mind that you're getting wet. Have some fun!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment