Tuesday, December 27, 2016

End of the year review

So, how did you do this year?
image credit
At the beginning of the year, we make resolutions about what we'll accomplish and so on. But, do we sit down at the end of the year and figure out if we actually did anything on our list? Nope. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone. I think it's kind of depressing to see how optimistic we are at the start of the year, just to be slapped in the face by reality at the end. So, it's easier to ignore it all and go on my merry way.
 
Of course, this begs the question of why we make resolutions in the first place? I doubt we make them in spite of ourselves, since I believe we really do mean to get things done, yet we also are somewhat aware that we are probably kidding ourselves. We pledge to lose weight, become wealthy, inspire the world, and bring peace to everyone. There are all kinds of promises we make. The most important ones are the ones we have control over, and still life gets in the way and we find ourselves failing to meet our own expectations.
 
So, am I suggesting that we stop making promises to ourselves? Nope, not at all. I think we need the optimism in our lives. We need to be reaching for better, and striving for more than who we are currently. We realize that self-improvement is something we should do, so we make resolutions to make that happen. So what if we don't accomplish them all? At least we tried. It's better to try and fail than fail to try. Hmm, that's pretty good ... I wonder if anyone said that before?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment