Monday, July 30, 2018

Going to the beach to avoid the Sun ...

My life is filled to the brim with curious oddities. I love meat, yet am allergic to bacon. I enjoy the outdoors, yet can't stand the heat. I love music, yet have sensitive hearing. Well, I've added another to the list: I go to the beach so I can avoid the Sun. Yup. You heard me right. Not the Sun in particular, but the massive heat wave we've been experiencing in the United States. I have lost the ability to sweat, so the only way to cool off (aside from shoving ice down my throat), is to let running water carry the heat away. The ocean works impressively well at that task, therefore the beach was calling me over ... the family came along too, I'm not a tyrant.

So, there I was, swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, with a t-shirt covering my chest and a cowboy hat giving shade to my head. About the only skin actually exposed were my legs and arms. I'm happy to say I didn't get a sunburn at all. I did get a little red, from reflected light, but overall I'm unscathed. I found it interesting how many people did all sorts of things to avoid the Sun on the beach, like using tents and umbrellas and sheets. It's funny to think we travelled all that way just to cover up and ignore the blessings of nature all around us. But, that's what vacations are for! To ignore life and goof around with stuff that shouldn't matter, yet is so very much fun. We saw dolphins!

I try very hard to notice the tiny trinkets of wonder in daily life, but when you go somewhere new and experience things from a fresh viewpoint it really isn't hard at all. I'll be the first to admit that I get stressed far too easily, and frustration rises and I have a tough time maintaining composure (my wife is helping in that area, God bless her). Life is good, nature is good, family is good. We simply need to open our eyes and take it in. Maybe we'll go to the beach next year? I have no idea, but I am positive that I'll be covering up again and avoiding the Sun as much as possible.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment