Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Cleaning out gutters ... is that supposed to be fun or hard?

Our house has I think too many gutters. I swear they are more numerous than the sides of our building. Plus, we have two wonderfully massive oak trees ... so, we need to clean the gutters often. The kids love doing it, and I'm very glad and blessed because ladders and I do not get along. I found out also that I need to make sure the horizontal portions are also cleaned out. Not sure why I didn't realize this before, as I'm sure any well-thinking person would have. But, now I have and get to add another cleaning duty to my list.

I've been intrigued by outdoor chores for a long time. Some people will actually take vacations just to do gardening--I think these people must be observed carefully, because they clearly aren't sane. Something my father did a lot was wash and wax his cars. I helped as a dutiful son (and I was definitely the most awesome waxer and polisher ever witnessed on the planet, thank you very much), yet have let that particular chore drop aside on my own vehicles. Another is washing windows; I can't say for certain if I've ever done this, but I know many people do and have to ask if it helps?

My wife and I love going around and looking at fine neighborhoods and their immaculate lawns. It's inspirational. I find myself dreaming of running waterfalls and koi ponds, with winding garden paths and fountains of roses ... and then I wake up in a sweat. Silly thing is, I really would love to have these things, but I just wouldn't maintain them in any appropriate fashion. It's not that I dislike outdoor work, it just isn't my particular pleasure. Although, our yard is big enough for something... I know, a jousting arena!

- M
History Channel's "Full Metal Jousting"

1 comment:

  1. That's more your style, Mark. That back section would do nicely for jousting. Have you thought about gutter guards? Waxing? I must admit I've not kept up the tradition. Oh, well. Nice piece!

    ReplyDelete