Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Fighting dragons, and other normal things.

Like most kids, I dreamt of fighting dragons and flying through space. That's probably why I like fantasy and science fiction so much. The funny thing is, I never really grew out of that. I've always found time to spirit myself away and dig through a new book, fight a few beasties, and then return to whatever I was supposed to be doing. Vivid imaginings have played such a large part in my life I can hardly comprehend what it must be like without it.
 
One exercise I use to grow my imagination is to take a scene from a book and completely see it within my mind's eye. Not just to the point of what it might be like to see a movie version, but completely there where I can turn and see everything around me. I'm by no means a master at it, but it helps and offers up surprising vistas. I must say, it's really tough to imagine something entirely alien, but I keep trying. When it happens in the midst of reading, it's like stepping through the pages and into your own adventure. Because of that, I can say I've held the One Ring, and volleyed riddles with dragons, and flows space ships, and hunted the Great White Whale.
 
I've often read that the mind is a muscle, and needs exercise like any other. Reading certainly flexes those muscles, and so do other activities. But, there are few things you can do that are so actively impressive to the mind than finding a good story and pouring yourself into it. I think there's a longing inside everyone to be part of something majestic. Find it now. Grab a book and go for it!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment