Friday, December 12, 2014

The Hobbit: The Five Armies

It's finally time. When nerds the world over will rejoice that at last we will see the Battle of the Five Armies from the Hobbit. Here's the poster in all it's glory:
 
 
This has been a key scene in fantasy for a very long time. I remember reading it in third grade and being in complete awe at the scale. I'm sure it set in motion my love of all epic fantasy, even though I was raised in Austria amongst all the great stories of old. This story is special; timeless. It remains a classic because it speaks to the human spirit in a way most stories do not.
 
And the end of that story is a massive battle, begun by a dragon and the untold lust of treasure. There are all sorts of moral lessons to be had, but what I'm wanting right now is a huge fight where the good guys win and the bad guys lose. And, it's got one of the greatest dragons ever to grace the Silver Screen! Smaug is incredibly realized, voiced, and used. This dragon is intelligent and vicious, which are two terrific things in a villain.
 
Sure, it probably is true that making The Hobbit into three films was extravagant, but so what? The extra material was part of Tolkien's world, and I don't mind it being used. If anything, I'm happy to see the Necromancer and Dol Guldur finally being shown. This final film should be unbelievable. It's the capstone for the story, the climax, and what we are expecting to fully satisfy. I doubt we'll be disappointed.
 
Get out there and enjoy it!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment