Monday, December 8, 2014

Tear, tear, two, too, to. Why is English so hard?

English can be a frustratingly difficult language. It doesn't help that even our basic vowels have exceptions... a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y. Other languages do have words that are similar in sounds, spellings, or writing. Yet, it sure feels that English is goofy in how often words are impossible to understand without context. Take the word: tear. Now is that like, "a tear fell from my eye." Or, is it "My book has a tear in the cover." Without context, the word is arguably useless, because the meaning is lost.
 
A fast favorite song of mine is "Word Crimes" by Weird Al Yankovic. Here it is:
 
 
I love how he plays with the words, and demonstrates many difficulties English speakers have. I must say, my heart goes out to anyone learning English as a second language. It's not easy. There are tons of exceptions, a massive amount of flat out memorization, and rules that don't even make sense--"i before e, except after c" I'm looking at you. We can blame such nonsense on Old English and all the other places we've taken our words from.
 
But, despite all this, I love English. I find it has words and uses that still delight me. There are so many varieties and such various ways to say the same things that I am happy to know it. Every language expresses thoughts and ideas to others, and there is real beauty in the words. And how words flow from one to another in such intricate dances is a high form of art.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment