Monday, January 2, 2017

Taking down memories

It's time to take down our Christmas tree. Sigh. It's a testimony to the power of symbols that a decorated fake tree can mean so very much. There's quite a few ornaments we've collected through the years, and it's neat to see them out once a year. We place our memories for all to see, and for us to enjoy. In what other ways do we do the same thing? Pictures? Paintings? Stories? Keepsakes?
We spend a big part of our lives on memories. To my mind they're one of the few things we can take with us anywhere. And, when our personal memories jump the tracks, we have baubles and photos to guide us back. So, are we afraid to lose them? No, we want to share. I've often spoken about our human desires for connections between each other. Physical memories are another way of creating those connections. I have a memory box on my desk, which has all kinds of little things with huge memories attached to them. I can easily talk for a long time about every object inside my little box, and often enjoy simply reminiscing.
 
So, yes, I'll pack up our tree and store it until the end of the year. Then, we'll put it back up and hang the ornaments and relive a few welcome memories. It's a tradition, but it's also fun. True, there are memories I don't want to relive, but hopefully those are few and far between. I pray that you all have plenty of good memories and happy thoughts. And may you all have a wonderful year.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment