Thursday, October 10, 2013

Goofiness and fun with words

I love good wordplay, especially when it is all kinda goofy. Maybe that's why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so much. There's a lot of fun there, and yet it does make a kind of sense. You just have to let your mind roam free to enjoy it. The only trouble is that I find the style of it worming it's way into my own writing when I read it too often.

Goofiness is fine though. People like having their brains tickled and watching as things jump around willy nilly. Maybe not all people, but those with a good sense of humor do. I love reading books that have their own style twisted around, unexpected and surprising. It makes the story even more pleasurable than it would be otherwise, because just reading brings pleasure.

Mostly though, I like when authors become a little goofy because it means they aren't taking themselves overly seriously. Not that I mind a serious book, but I find them normally stale and dull--fine for a textbook, but not for most fiction.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment