Monday, October 7, 2013

Forward to the Future

When I was a kid, the future was practically paved with golden streets. There wasn't any dream too small, and everyone expected to be hoping into flying cars and tearing around the skies. Walt Disney's Epcot Center wasn't just imagination, but a glimpse of our adulthood. It was entrancing, enticing, bombastic, and positive.

What happened to it? Maybe I'm just not in the right places anymore, but it seems like the future has turned into those sinister dark places they show in movies (Blade Runner, for example). I want the uncompromising optimism again. I want to see a world filled with hopeful people, driving ahead because they're glad to see how things are going. Actually, I just want a revival of hope for what's in store. No more dark futures, give me gleaming stainless steel robots!

I've often wondered about a phrase I heard from the movie, "Amadeus." Mozart is complaining about writing operas about Hercules and so on, saying that he thinks they are too lofty and stale. He wants something more realistic. The answer he is given is fantastic: "They represent the best in us all." (sorry, not a direct quote, but I hope it's pretty close)

Bring back the best, show me what to look forward to, and give me back the future of my dreams!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment