Thursday, October 3, 2013

All time favorites, or at least a bunch of stuff I love

When someone asks me what my favorite something is, it's nearly impossible to pin down just one thing. I usually give a list of my top five or so. Take movies for example, if I was asked to name my top movie, I'd be at a complete loss to pick only one--although if it was by number of times viewed, then Star Wars (Episode 4, A New Hope) would definitely win hands down. My favorites change all the time, which is why I never pick a security question asking my favorite anything, because a year down the line it'll likely be different.

A friend of mine has a book filled with past major hits in books, and the funny thing is that I've generally never heard of both the book and the author. Amazing that such top sellers could be so easily forgotten only a couple decades later. But, we humans are a fickle lot, so I shouldn't be surprised. This is actually the reason I've studied the classics so much, because I am deeply interested in knowing what it is about these things that have captured the attention of so many for so long.

I wonder what would happen if someone sets out to make a "classic" using the techniques they've learned. Would it be celebrated, misunderstood, or ignored? It's a good question, and I'm sure people have tried it. I'd love to know of ones that are successful.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment