Saturday, October 26, 2013

Trilogies and series stories

The first trilogy I ever read was The Lord of the Rings. I loved the continuing story, greater than one single story. I've read many trilogies since then, and I still enjoy stories that span multiple volumns. There's just something wonderful when a tale takes hold and keeps on going through book after book. You get to see characters grow and change, the setting usually alters due to the characters moving through it, and even the plot itself flows and adapts. It's neat to see.

Maybe the greatest thing about a lengthy story is how deep the characters become. You get to know them very well (hopefully that's a good thing), and understand their motivations. Before long, the world of the story becomes part of yourself and it's easy to see yourself within the story as well. I love that feeling. I realize my own imagination is very strong, but I can't believe that I'm the only one who gets lost inside a world of stories. I think it's the biggest reason we read fiction.

Also, there is the reason of the three part story. Act 1 brings us the characters and sets up the villain and the troubles, Act 2 tears down the heroes and gives victory to the villains, Act 3 grants the heroes overall victory and punishes the villains. Not all trilogies follow this pattern, but it's fairly common. And, it works. I look forward to seeing how it's handled. I suppose that's why "bad" endings are not typical (because it's jarring, and unexpected).

Enjoy a good book, settle down for a comfortable nights entertainment watching a movie series, or listen to family talk about their strange old uncles. Take the time to go on an adventure.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment