Monday, October 21, 2013

Jumping to conclusions

Why do we always jump ahead of things and then get disappointed when we didn't guess correctly? How many times have you read a book, or watched a movie, and figured out the entire story in your head? Naturally those guesses turn out wrong, maybe not every time but a majority probably. The reason? We all think differently, so what we expect isn't the same. Sure, there are times when stories are painfully obvious and you can guess those. I like stories that take me by surprise, take interesting twists, and throw me to the wind to watch me twirl.

Truly original stories are worth any sort of trouble to obtain. They take us in new directions, give us new options, and help us jump out of the ruts we so commonly fall into. It's like getting a helping hand to punch us in the face when we're being stupid. Sometimes we need that.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Every story has its own sense of originality, since a completely unique person created it. Like the movie, Field of Dreams, says, "If you build it, they will come." I believe, so let them come.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment