Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Online gaming rpgs, like World of Warcraft and other similar ones

I've played computer games since personal computers first came out (yup, I'm ancient). Specifically, role playing games have held special fascination with me, mainly due to the idea of growing your character and watching them become powerful. Without any effort there is a story that attaches to your gameplay, and it's very easy to feel like you are the character you play. Naturally, some people go way too far and get lost, but for most it's just a wonderfully relaxing way to spend some time.

Replayability is a struggle for games like this. Back in the early days, the games were mainly a one off kind of thing where you follow a big story from start to finish and that's it. Sure, they many times had hundreds of hours of gameplay, though it wasn't something you wanted to do over and over. Modern online games do have stories they tell, but after you've done it then it's only about the gameplay and interaction with other people. I've often wondered if this philosophy will change, or if the famous online grind will go on forever?

The enticing thing about roleplaying is the creation of stories personal to yourself. I love getting into character and generating stories with the people I interact with. It's fun, and there's nothing quite like it in any sort of gaming. Yes, I play World of Warcraft, and I've played many others (starting with EverQuest) though not as much as in years gone by. Creating in an environment of fantasy or science fiction is an incredible experience, and I'd recommend it to anyone willing to give it a try. Just make sure you have fun--after all, a game is just a game and not a job. Get out there and enjoy yourself!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment