Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Basketball and the NBA. Local spirit!

I've never been a big sports fan really, though I understand most of the rules and can talk somewhat intelligently about it (if not the actual teams themselves). What has always mystified me was how intense some fans can become about their teams, a fact that still amazes me no matter how much I learn. Truly it's fantastic that so many people are excited about sports and are willing to put time and effort into their fandom. It's inspiring actually.

My wife is now a huge fan of the NBA team the Thunder, from Oklahoma. It's cute to see, and I'll stay up to watch the games with her and cheer them on. Of course, it's the playoffs right now and so the stakes are higher than they otherwise would be. It's neat, adorable, and instructive all at once. The stereotype is for the man to be into sports and not the woman. I'm happy we break the mold.

All that to say, I'm enjoying it. I've rooted for various teams over the years, but it's great having my family doing it all together. There's something new to talk about (well, so long as they don't lose and then the mood is a bit reluctant), and there's a focus on a singular thing that does bring people together. I suppose that's why fans cheer so much inside stadiums--because the atmosphere feeds on itself and blossoms and grows. Sports are fun, we can all play them, and it's neat to watch people play who are extraordinarily good.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment