Thursday, May 29, 2014

Setting the Tone, and making sure you stick with it.

I've been learning a great deal about a concept in stories called "Tone." It's not a new concept, and certainly understood without even being aware of it. Basically, what "Tone" is all about is keeping things similar throughout the story--like a comedy "Tone" shouldn't include extensive horror scenes, at least without reason, because the shift in "Tone" confuses the audience. Mainly, by keeping the story consistent, the audience keeps up and doesn't get lost in twists and turns that come from nowhere.

This sort of thing is really apparent in movies, because the "Tone" is very visual. Imagine how jarring it would be to watch the "10 Commandments" and see Moses suddenly break into dance and song as he comes down the mountain with the tablets. It just doesn't fit. Being aware of the "Tone" makes authors keep a restraint on things going out of control. Sure, it would be fun to see Professor Xavier from X-Men throw out some one liner jokes, but it wouldn't fit the "Tone" of his character at all.

What has been very illuminating to me is how often the creative process falls away from the "Tone" that's already been set. I find myself going over my own works and slicing out stuff that just doesn't fit because of it--I can't say I was aware of why before, but in the last few years I sure have learned. It is so easy to go off the rails and interject humor where it shouldn't be.

It's wonderful to learn new things, and keep improving. I pray it never stops.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment