Saturday, May 3, 2014

Redemption

We all desire redemption in some form--for our sins, for our past, for things we've done, for things we've allowed. And, if we get it, are we sure about it? This is a theme for tons of stories, throughout the ages. We seek it out constantly, and humble ourselves when we find it. It builds character, creates depth, but also shows yearnings and longings that are so heartfelt that the audience can scarcely miss them. Look at the greatest heroes in literature, and you'll find every one found redemption at some point during their career.

When I first began writing, I wrote many short stories that had some kind of redemption as a quick theme. But, it's not really that simple. There's a process, short or long, that comes first. It can take someone an entire story to move through the process, but it must be realized in a believable manner or it won't resonate with the audience. I think that's why some stories fail, or at least fall flat. We as an audience want to cheer them on, but fake efforts are really obvious. It needs to be believable.

Of course, these are just grandiose words written by a stranger on the internet. Anybody can philosophize. Still, my guess is we keep making up redemption stories because we want it for ourselves. I know that I want my heroes humble, not bragging about their achievements or puffing out their chests. Then again, not every hero is a warrior priest. My mind goes to Odysseus, who spent quite a lot of time mouthing off about himself and yet he's still a great hero (and I love the stories about him too). However it works, redemption is a worthy of stories.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment