Monday, August 7, 2017

Help me! I'm painting and I don't have any orange...

Why do we usually only cry for help when things are going badly? Why not ask for help when things are good? Sure, we may not think we need help, but think of it as assistance. There are many activities where more is better. Also, if you ask help from someone knowledgeable in the process (like assembling one of those insane desks you get at the store), then you can save yourself a lot of headaches and broken pencils. I think we reluctantly seek help (at least in America), because it somehow demonstrates a lack of ability, self-reliance, or stupidity. Help isn't a nasty word, and providing it or seeking it shows nothing more than willingness on either side.

As I've grown older, I've finally realized that I need lots of help. It no longer injures my pride to ask for it, and I love to provide it. What's amazing is the satisfaction all parties receive when good help is given. There's a certain kind of rewarding smile you only get when you help someone, and the sense of relief at not fighting alone is just as welcome. So, why belabor the point? If you need help, then ask for it. Don't rattle on alone.

For what it's worth, we're all in this world together, so we may as well help each other. I like to think offering some help will be happily forwarded to the next person. Maybe it's not changing the world, but it's my little part of it.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment