Thursday, August 31, 2017

When did my parents become so wise?

My parents, wise far beyond their years.
More often I find myself seeking advice from my parents--or, when they aren't around, pondering what they might say. I want their wisdom. This leads to the other question of when did become wise? I remember most of my young adulthood as a constant flow of nonsense coming from them, and I was way smarter than anything they had to say. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm a blithering idiot compared to either of them. I need to sit and soak in what they have to tell me. They're wisdom will remain with me until the end of my life.

Children are constantly trying to strike out on their own, to make a unique mark upon the world, and stand sure in their own competence. That's the strange thing about growing up ... once you do, you find yourself yearning to go back home and listen the way you should have when you were too smart to know any better. Very weird. I'm glad I realized the situation before I ultimately lost the opportunity.

Perhaps I should write it down in a book? (One of the hundreds already out there). But, I don't know those other people, so I just don't quite value what they say as much as my own parents. Again, weird. You'd think wisdom would be wisdom regardless of who says it. However, when it comes from someone you highly respect, the words are far more valuable and important. I can't imagine greater wisdom on Earth than my parents and my lovely wife.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment