Monday, September 15, 2014

Castles, those great structures of fantasy and history!



Arguably the most famous castle in the world is Neuschwanstein in Bavaria--a castle so bombastic that it basically bankrupted a whole country. It's an amazing place. I've been there several times and remember it well, especially the magical grotto and the incredible bedrooms. If you ever get the chance, go see it. You'll instantly recognize it, even if you've never seen it before, because Walt Disney totally ripped it off when he designed his Cinderella Castle. And, why not? It's a fairytale castle, and it's real.

I've loved castles since I learned about them. They are huge. Strong. Elegant. Confounding. If a prison, or a barricaded iron door can be gorgeous then they definitely fit the bill. I love them. I've designed them. I've played in them. And, I've enjoyed dreaming about them.

Castles are now part of our romantic notions of the Middle Ages. They foster images of chivalry, damsels, knights, and heroism. Sure, the reality is very different, but why spoil a good fantasy with clear thinking? In the end they are simply awesome. I'll never stop loving them. And, one of my dreams is to see the fantastic Welsh castles still standing. Actually, I'd enjoy going to castle ruins as well. Ah, whatever castle... let me at them!

- M

ps. There are hot air balloon tours of castle that go down the Danube river... hint, hint, hint... for anyone willing to drop cash on it... just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment