Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Heroes who Inspire Greatness

As I've grown as a reader, I've learned there are quite a few different types of heroes. I've written about this before, but I think it bears repeating. Audiences deserve great heroes. There is a current fad where heroes are terribly flawed and brooding shadows who only sometimes do great things. I don't think there's anything wrong with that (I absolutely love the Frank Miller Batman), though I long to see a modern Ajax or Prometheus. Heroes with principles and the courage to stand up for them.

The question is what happens when audiences are challenged and inspired by great heroes? I believe that people rise to the standards set around them. If every hero is moody, gloomy, flawed, and crummy then why would anyone want to be near them? What I personally want is to see is a tragic hero become a glorious hero! What's so wrong with putting someone on a pedestal and saying, "I want to be like them."

Heroes are role models who are bigger than life. They do impossible things, over and over and over again. I think that's why sports stars and movie stars are so popular as heroes. They are hugely advertised, do incredible things physically, and radiate star power. But, heroes don't need to be such icons of culture. What about firemen who rescue people from burning houses? Or teachers who encourage young minds to higher and better ideals? Not every hero is on the cover of Time magazine. Look around you, I'll bet you know some already.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment