Thursday, September 4, 2014

Holidays, vacations, and general getting away from it all



We just celebrated Labor Day (a national holiday here in the good 'ole USA) and it got me thinking about times we spend getting away from it all. In Britain they call vacations "holidays" and I'm sure there are many other phrases we use to basically say we are taking time off from our normal lives. Sometimes we travel, other times we simply stay home and do nothing.

I tend toward staying home, but I long for a time when I can take our family to Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, Sydney, and so many other places. I'd love to provide those experiences to my children. Getting a sense of the world is part of life, and we miss out by not taking advantage of the opportunities we find. Taking time away grants that chance.

I think the best piece of advice I've ever heard is this: Work hard, and play hard. Whatever you do, do it with gusto. Don't hold back. Even if you are playing, do it with every fiber of your being! When you live that way, you find quickly that there are some things just not worth doing and others that you didn't care about before that you suddenly are passionate about. We humans are weird like that--we never know what we truly want.

So, enjoy whatever holiday or vacations you have coming!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment