Thursday, October 2, 2014

Bionic humans, knee replacements and such.

I've had both of my knees replaced, making me a sort of bionic man. I enjoy the thought, since I absolutely loved the original "6 Million Dollar Man" show. It was fun, clever, and endlessly hilarious with its pseudo-science. So what if most of it made little sense? What mattered was the show followed its own mythology and made things fun.

Anyway, we are getting so far along the path of making a cyborg that it's actually believable. There are all sorts of story possibilities--many of which are already covered through the wealth of science fiction already created. But, there's still room for much more. My guess is the desire to explore the growing bonds between humans and technology will continue to grow as we get more and more comfortable. And, I don't mean more robots, but more humans augmented by machine parts--to the extent where it's difficult to determine the difference.

In the end, it's about wish fulfillment. I love robots, and I love people. What fun to put them both together! Besides, my new knees have given me back the exquisite ability to walk! It's still fresh in my mind how it feels to be unable to even stand or take a step. Now, I'm climbing stairs. What an incredible gift! I can only imagine how having bionic knees and arms would be... like becoming an incredible Hulk... unstoppable.

Hee hee. Hulk smash!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment