Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Excuses. Life happened. The dog ate it.

 
Sorry about being late on my blog... life happened, I suppose. Yup, terrible excuse. Excuses always are. It got me thinking about what I intended with this blog from the beginning. I wanted to get my ideas about books, stories, and storytelling out into the world. But, it's become much more than that. This is really a forum for my thoughts to come out and play. It's a place for observations and ideas. Limiting those wasn't really what I had in mind, so I'm modifying what I do a little bit... hope you don't mind.

Anyway, so how are excuses used within a story? Seems to me that it's mainly because someone is trying to get away with something; be it a slip of the mind, or not getting caught. Whatever the reason, the audience is nearly always aware of the excuse, and is eager to discover the outcome. We like to see someone being dishonest get punished for it. Perhaps it's because that so rarely happens in real life? Possibly.

Since I work in fiction, stories to me are less a reflection of reality than a hope for what could be. I like affirming stories, ones that inspire and direct. I want something that enriches me, pushes me to new heights, and gives me an example to strive toward. Stories are a great way of providing heroes and role models, just as much as demonstrating villainous behavior. It's no wonder that the "Lord of the Rings" is such a well-loved classic--it has heroes, villains, and good overcomes evil. In the end, I believe most of us want good to triumph.

Here's to bigger and greater things!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment