Thursday, October 16, 2014

Expectations, high or low.

 
Whatever we do, we have expectations. When we drive, we expect to arrive at our destination. When we eat, we expect the food to nourish our bodies. And, when we experience stories, we expect a good tale. Of course, we could be expecting the opposite and want something bad. Either way, we are looking forward to something deliberate.
 
There are many reasons something succeeds, particularly with stories. I think one of the most powerful reasons is that the author understood the expectations of the audience. I really doubt most horror audiences expect a happy ending, and I can't imagine a romance story being depressing overall. Sure, there are exceptions, but they are hopefully well thought out studies in audience manipulation. When people get what they expect, they tend to shell out cash to get it. Just look at the iPhone. Wow, do they shell out for that!
 
Right now I'm about to read the novelization of the movie "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." My expectation is for more detail and more insight into the characters. I already love the story, but I expect to love it more. I'm sure I won't be disappointed, especially with the high ratings the book has received. Check it out.
 
Take a look at your own expectations. I'll bet you will be surprised at some of them, disappointed with others, and happy at most. Whatever the result, self-examination is a great exercise.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment