Saturday, October 25, 2014

Spots on the Sun.

Sunspot AR 2192, about the size of Jupiter
Sunspots are true marvels of our universe. They are somewhat understood, but there is so much more to discover about the why and how of their formation. My question is why they are needed? What processes are turning on the creation of these vast structures? I've been dazzled by these things since I learned of them as a child.
 
I suppose it's comforting to me to know there is still a lot that isn't understood. I like that. Discovery is part of the human condition, and I love hearing about some new tidbit scientists are only now understanding. I doubt we'll ever understand it all, although we won't stop trying. It's great fun to come across something nobody else knows.
 
There are hidden things in our universe, waiting for us to notice them. Dark matter, dark energy, and a whole host of strangely defined thingamajigs. We have ideas they are there, but finding them is a challenge. I look forward to the new discoveries. I'm eager to learn more, and find out more about the universe we all inhabit. The unknown isn't a scary place... it's an adventure.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment