Monday, August 3, 2015

Dumb, Stupid, and Really Bad Planning.

Ever do something with thought and planning only to find out it was embarrassingly stupid? I can't be the only one. The funny thing is, we don't necessarily realize right away how dumb it really was. Sometimes we go on thinking we just didn't do it right and try again a few more times. That's gotta be the reason so many people tried riding a barrel over Niagara Falls. I don't believe anyone could possibly be that stupid without truly believing they were performing a brilliant stunt. Of course, there's always the hero complex reason, but going for glory only takes someone so far before they question the sanity of the quest.
photo credit
As kids we probably do more than our share of stupid stunts. It's only natural as we test our limits and discover what's a good idea and what isn't. I sure did. I'll never forget my great plan of seeing how far I could throw a brick into the air. I put it on a plank of wood, with another brick near the center as a fulcrum, then I jumped up on the board and watched the brick go into orbit. At least that's what I thought would happen. It must have gone fairly high, because I didn't see it hit the ground, and I sure wasn't looking up, so I took a few steps to the side and ... whammo! Right in the forehead. The next thing I remember is waking up and seeing our big oak tree sticking out of the ground sideways. Yup, I knocked myself cold.

Thing is, I realized it might arc into me, so I stepped aside, and the blasted thing nailed me anyway. And, yes, I planned it all out, even so far as realizing I didn't want to look up and get it in the nose. Planning didn't help at all, it was a foolish, stupid, moronic thing to do.

Hopefully we learn from such mistakes and educate ourselves. Then, perhaps and hopefully, we make better choices.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment