Monday, August 22, 2016

Take me to the heights of beauty and power, give me music.

Since the earliest days I can remember, I've listened to music. It's taught me about beauty, form, majesty, imagination, power, suffering, pain, loss, and basically every emotion possible to conceive. If there's one thing that separates us from the animals, I think it's our ability to create music. Have you ever really thought about how complicated a simple song is? Then consider a symphony! Yes, music is a language, but I think music is capable of expression far beyond any form of spoken language. There's depth of feeling you cannot otherwise create, accompanied by a force which tears the soul and builds it up again.
 
When I learn of another culture, one of the first things I want to know is their music. We all gravitate toward what we enjoy and like, so our preferred music is an expression of ourselves. Actually, it's probably safe to say that a culture's art is a glimpse into the culture's very soul. NASA sent a record (gold "vinyl" LP album) with lots of music into space--yes, there's more to it, but music is racing through the cosmos as you read this.
The "Voyager Golden Record"
There've been times I wished I could write music, but I'm not jealous or upset that I don't. I can create fun little tunes with whistling and that keeps me happy. By the way, if you haven't learned to whistle then you must begin right now and get a taste of true musical freedom. I'm in awe of the people who create my favorite music. You can quickly discern if music has true emotion behind it, or is only faking it. The human ear detects fakery quickly and harshly (which may be why AutoTune is disliked). I suggest getting a grand musical composition and spending some time alone, listening and enjoying the music.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment