Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Rare and wonderful events

Have you ever noticed how common rare events are? Planetary alignments, special gems, unusual circumstances, and amazing skills. Lots of things are called rare, or unique. I think we love to find these "rare" things, and so we search high and low until we find them. Maybe it's because we humans are natural puzzle solvers, and it's almost beyond us to go through life without some sort of riddle confounding us. So, we seek out patterns that are rare and curious. Planets lining up isn't really all that significant, but a whole field of study was made around it (astrology is what I have in mind, but astronomy fits too).
Chicago's Shiny Object
The funny thing is, we still respond to the common nature of rare events with awe and intrigue, at least until the next rarity occurs. Maybe it's a way of marking periods in our lives, kind of like historic landmarks? All I know is these things keep cropping up and I see no stopping any of it, not that I'd want to.
 
Truth is, I love seeing special things. Maybe it's only special because I haven't experienced it before, but it doesn't matter. Life should be special, and I'm happy to find new reasons for it to be that way. So, I'll keep looking for, and finding, rare new special things. I'll point them out to anyone interested, and hopefully someone else will find amazement and happiness. It's all I ask for that little bit of unique magic.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment