Monday, September 14, 2015

Star Wars projects as we await the next episode!

Several of my friends find all kinds of incredible projects people have done in the spirit of Star Wars--a Darth Vader grill, or Stormtrooper doggie sets, and I see Boeing just painted one of their Dreamliner jets as R2-D2. Amazing. Kinda strange, but neat. It's a testimony to how deeply this series of movies has affected our culture. It's safe to say that everybody knows what Star Wars is, even if they haven't seen the movies.

I still can't say I fully understand why these movies are so beloved. The story is a very simple hero's journey. The setting is pretty standard science fiction for the era. Perhaps it was the incredible special effects? Maybe. Was it the actors? Nope, since they were unknowns at the time (aside from the eminent Sir Alec Guiness). I think it was a very special and unique blend of people wanting a story of hope and ultimate victory mixed in with cutting edge special effects and that ultimate strangeness of "it's awesome." Okay, so I don't know for sure, but I definitely believe it was a "one in a billion" happening.

Star Wars 7 is coming up quickly (Dec. 2015) and is almost sure to be a huge blockbuster. I have great hopes that they focus back on story rather than dripping the scenes with special effects. Let's bring back the hero stories with villains that are simple and get under our skin. Let the Jedi ways be mysterious and sparingly used. I want the old Cowboys in Space kind of feel that the original series had. But, whatever shows up, you can bet I'll be there watching it. So help me, I love Star Wars!

- M

p.s. I'd love one of those Darth Vader grills, if anyone wants to make one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment