Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Teaching a new driver to drive and not becoming insane.

I'm now on my second child learning to drive. I'm only party insane now. I'm reminded of Bob Newhart's incredibly funny skit about the driving instructor. No, it's not that bad, really. So long as you (the parent) are keeping a good eye on the road and thinking a bit ahead of your student (child), then things go swimmingly Of course, being a new driver makes everything a tad unsteady. What I mean is, I find that learning to keep your hands apparently calm and not shrieking like a banshee helps beyond words.

All kidding aside, learning to drive is one of the greatest accomplishments of young adulthood. It's about the only rite of passage we have here in the United States, and it marks the first true liberation of a child. I'll never forget when our oldest daughter finally realized just how free it made her when she could borrow the car and go out to buy whatever she wanted. She didn't have to convince us anymore to take here somewhere, because she could just get the keys and go. Eureka!

Gradual steps toward the full responsibility of adulthood is a wonderful thing, but I must admit that learning to drive is right up there with being tossed into a sea of red ants and told to keep still. It's not easy. On one hand, you want to get up and go, and on the other hand you're worried about failure. But, you can only fly if you spread your wings and try. There's a life lesson somewhere ...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment