Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Lottery fever strikes again!

Tonight was the massive drawing in the Powerball lottery of over 1 billion dollars. 1.5 billion is what I saw. Such a huge number is nearly beyond imagining, though I'm sure people do. It seems everyone is talking about what they'd do with such a payout. I agree it's fun to think about. More than likely someone won tonight, and probably a multitude of smaller winners too. If not, then people will keep hoping and wishing and doing what they can to win.
 
Benjamin Franklin had a lot to say about money. One of his famous quotes is: “He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.” Flowery speech aside, what he's saying is not to allow money mastery over you. Money is simply a tool. Sure, more of it makes life a whole lot easier, but it doesn't award any happiness or contentment you don't already own. Sorry to philosophize, but I grabbed a few tickets too and it got me to thinking.
 
Oh, and, nope, I didn't win a dime. Actually, I didn't have a single correct number (even out of order) at all. Ah well, at least it was a fun experience. Kind of like playing Bingo (which I've never won either). There's no harm in playing a game, but once it becomes personal it's dangerous. I suppose any game is like that, whether it be football, poker, billiards, or scratch-and-win. So, have some fun if you like, just be careful how deep that desire becomes.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment