Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy, fun, silly, bubble ... some words are just great to say.

Do some words make you giggle? Maybe tease your ears a bit and wobble around your brain for a while? English is a funny language after all, just ask any comedian (especially if they're originally from another country). I've often wondered if some of our vocabulary is created simply because it's amusing and likable. How else can we explain things like "abbreviated" being so long?
 
My current favorite is "sprinkle" and right behind it is "bubble." I love saying those words. There's a tiny child in me that giggles crazily whenever I hear them (such as hearing Karen Carpenter singing "Close to You"; just listen, she's so amazingly happy when she says, "sprinkle"). My list is constantly changing, especially as I use and learn more words. I urge you all to find your own favorites and enjoy them.
Mary Poppins doing her magical best
And then we get to the completely ridiculous side of the spectrum with fully made up words, like Mary Poppins, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (yes, I had to look that one up, yeesh). These I don't mind so much, because they're clearly a joke and meant to be funny. Popular culture also tries making new words, with random success as far as I can tell. When it comes to words, there's no limit to the wackery involved ... see, I just made a new word!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment