Monday, January 11, 2016

Ode to my Aunt Linda: Death and loss, from a distance.

When life ends, it sends shockwaves through the survivors. Depending on your religious views, it may be joyous, piercing, or simply numbing. For me, I am in the position of offering what encouragement I may to the family. I have very fond memories of Aunt Linda, who died just a few days ago, and her husband Uncle Ken. She was a fine woman, a sturdy bulwark of confidence in times of trouble, and as great an aunt as is possible to be. I'll never forget vacations where I tormented their kids (I actually built a little fort to keep out Drew, the little rascal, as he kept bugging me while I was reading).
 
Aunt Linda, radiant as ever she was.
Because of distance, I never knew her well. I wish I had. Reading comments of eulogy, I regret that fact, because clearly she was wonderful and loving. I do remember how kind she was, and her great sense of humor. Even though I haven't seen her in many years, I'll never forget her face. It's funny how memory is, because many days I don't remember what I had for lunch, yet her face is etched in my mind as I write this. She was the sort of person you'll never forget. That's as it should be, because your memory will hold the best times, the fine days, and not the hurtful ones.
 
Distance, though, has granted me a very special blessing of viewpoint. I am privileged to see the amazing outpouring of love and encouragement being given to this woman's family. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. Really, I'm humbled. This great woman touched many lives, and those lives are now raising their voices in thanks. What a testimony! I add my voice to these many, and thank Aunt Linda for her marvelous life. Thank you!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment