Saturday, January 2, 2016

Roleplaying is fun, and strange, and really very interesting.

I think it's safe to say we've all heard about roleplaying at some point. Some people associate it with fantasy games, but it's a part of wonderful corporate team building exercises (note sarcasm to this statement) and psychology sessions all over. What I really like is "getting into character" when I'm playing a game, like pulling on a new coat and creating something unique. In a sense, it's what actors do, and they sure aren't the only ones who can. I've had some of my best fun doing that in games, and my friends and I still talk about the times we created.
 
Beware the Battle Beagle!
For some strange reason roleplaying is not well accepted like acting is. Could it just be the word? I'm not sure. Somehow it's silly, or strange, or downright weird. I don't care. I try not to judge (even people who LARP are just doing it for fun). Either way, I think it's an adult's way of having the same fun as a kid playing cops and robbers. Why not just go with it?
 
To me, I'll stick with creating stories for the characters I play in games. But, I'm a storyteller, so it's natural to play a game and write a story at the same time. And, I get to involve others in the story as it's created--that's the best part of all. I wonder if I'll use these experiences in a book? (There are plenty of examples already, such as Drizzt.) You never know, maybe you'll see Mohi Sedo or Xiphos running around (yeah, those are my characters, so no, you can't have them, *grin*).
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment