Saturday, January 16, 2016

I'm not the main character, but, hey, I'm important!

Main characters are the point of the story, sure, but secondary characters can be just as much fun. R2-D2 and BB-8 aren't main Star Wars characters, but I'll bet everyone in the world knows them. Supporting characters not only prop up the story, but add welcome distractions and can be as goofy and strange and idiotic as you want. In a literary sense they're called "foils." But, some of my favorites are secondary characters, and probably because they're silly and fun.
 
Amazing things happen when care and love is spent on all the players in a story, regardless how small. Fan clubs have been created for even the most incidental people in movies (yup, even the Elven Council scene in the Lord of the Rings, where a handful of elves are arguing, has fans of each of those elves). There's no knowing what people will latch onto, or why they like what they do. So, why not include a bunch of choices In my own work, I've found it hard not to smile when some of the secondary characters show up.
 
I'm still astonished by the spectacular success of the new Star Wars, and really hope the toys will branch out beyond the main characters. I'd love to have a toy figure of that old man who gave the starchart key to the resistance pilot at the start. Or, the goofy parts dealer who only paid with powdered bread (I must admit, I love that little detail). Actually, I'm sure they'll sell as many toys as they can reasonably get away with.
 
Captain Phasma--what was it she did?
 - M

No comments:

Post a Comment