Monday, January 25, 2016

X-Files returns!

The famous poster from X-Files television show
I've been a fan of the X-Files for quite a while. It was a goofy show back when it first came out (sometimes hilariously so) and then it started taking itself far too seriously so I dwindled away from it. However, it created a wonderful movie "Fight the Future" and another good one "I Want to Believe." The X-Files was the show where the audience was constantly confused and groups of fans got together to compile information and try to figure out what was going on. It was fun to be a part of it, and occasionally things made sense (more so toward the end as it got serious).
 
Now, the X-Files are back for a 6 episode comeback! I have to admit I've been very excited about it. I love the old show, and this new one apparently has 2 mythology episodes and 4 stand-alone episodes. What that means is the first and last episodes will deal seriously with the show while the others anyone can enjoy without knowing anything about the show at all. I'm looking forward to them. Be prepared to have your brain tickled and smashed at the same time.
 
The interesting thing about a show such as the X-Files is that it tap-dances between science fiction and fantasy, all while incorporating conspiracy stories of the modern age. Audiences clearly enjoy the concept, and I wish them all the success possible to the format. What I really hope is that it'll inspire new shows. I just can't get enough science fiction, and there's far too few of them out there.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment