Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The power of feeling with all your senses

I bet you didn't expect a squirrel smelling a flower!
There's a neat science fiction movie called "Equilibrium" in which the society markedly eliminates all feelings. I'm not sure why it didn't become really popular, because it's an excellent movie (also with a really cool idea called the "gun kata" which mixes martial arts and guns, hilariously stylized and ridiculously awesome). The central theme is: who are we without our emotions? It's not the first time science fiction, or fiction in general, has tackled such an idea. The question is a good one and definitely worthy of dedicated attention.
 
Nope. I won't get into that here.
 
What I will do is ask: when was the last time you set yourself free and allowed yourself to really feel? There's a restaurant in California called "The Opaque" where you eat in a totally dark room, waited on by blind waiters, with the idea that if you take away sight then food is magnified to the other senses. How about taking away sound and watching a play? Do you then use your other senses more acutely? Take the exercise to all the senses. What happens?
 
I think we take our senses for granted. Maybe we don't even fully realize their true potential. I do know that if I close my eyes and hold my wife's hand that it's warm and alive and far more magical than if I only look. At the same time, why is it that I can hold a picture of my wife's smiling face and stretch out my fingers to caress her cheek? Our senses offer much more than tiny pieces around us, they gift unto us a reality of the world that is truly breathtaking if you take the time to appreciate it.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment