Monday, June 23, 2014

Nature's beauty, and our desire to bear witness

Our planet has a mind boggling variety of terrain, countless forms of life, and we want to see it all. Curiosity certainly isn't the sole domain of humans, but I don't see cats getting scuba gear together to check out reefs. I'm proud of our ability to recognize and seek out the beauty of our world. I think it's one of our most admirable qualities.

I've been blessed to have seen many places around the world, and I would love to see much more. Until then, the Internet has provided us with images from wherever mankind has travelled. Our drive to see more and more of our world doesn't seem to end, and I'll bet it never will. Because of this we have discovered features that boggle the mind, like Angel Falls, Mount Everest, or the Mariana Trench. I have lots of pictures that I use as backgrounds on my computer, because the beauty of nature is tough to beat.

What more is there to see? Certainly there is all of space to explore, but I think the greatest places to visit are underwater. Seriously. We know so very little about what's under the surface. Radar has mapped most of the Earth, but just in broad strokes. We still don't understand what is down there (for the most part) and are relying on best guesses a lot of the time. I can imagine all kinds of incredible things, but reality always trumps my imagination. After all, who could have possibly imagined that life can exist around underwater hot spots--basically they are vents for deep crust lava, and little critters thrive near them.

Nature... check it out!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment