Thursday, June 5, 2014

I believe I can fly... why not shoot for the stars?


You can have a lot of fun with little platitudes like, "I believe I can fly," or "if you shoot for the stars and miss, you'll still land on the moon." There's some truth in them, sure, but they're mostly motivational tickles to inspire and hopefully get things moving. We all need a good kick in the pants now and again, but we also need a soft shoulder to cry on as well. My guess is we use these platitudes to do both, though what success they generate is up for grabs.

Our culture is filled with stories regarding these sayings, and the stories are well received for the most part. I think we have a fundamental need to see the best in our situations, regardless of what the truth may be around us. Sure, I'm an optimist and naturally lean that direction, but I can't believe I'm alone in that. Encouraging sayings also bring different perspectives; anyone stuck in a rut of same thinking can use a good dose of perspective.

Motivational posters are pretty big business too, and have spawned all sorts of quotable quotes and quips. I get a crazy sort of pleasure from the cynically twisted ones, particularly the ninja cat ones. I love laughing at the crazy and silly things people come up with. We are a goofy species, we human beings.

Have a glorious day, and remember... watch out for Ninja Cats!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment