Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cosplay. Grown-up dress-up.

The SyFy channel has introduced me to the competitive world of Cosplay (which is dressing up like popular characters, and is absolutely ginormous in Japan) through their show "Heroes of Cosplay". I'll admit I've known about this type of costuming for a while, but had no idea it was such a feature of the various geek gatherings around the country. I'm a nerd--proud of it indeed--and absolutely would love to get to one of these shows. However, I just can't see myself dressing up, though my wife could easily get me to do it if she fancied playing along...

I'm amazed at the skill, time, and passion that goes into these costumes. These people are very dedicated, and go to tremendous lengths to make it everything as correct as possible. There's a world of possibilities, and the varieties that show up are incredible. I love to see that geek culture is an expansion industry. I've never hidden my love of fiction, or my nerdiness, and am a proud member of geekdom myself. Hmm, maybe I could be a good Captain Marvel afterall... Shazam!

Anyway, I enjoy seeing how the characters of story become center stage attractions. People really dig into their favorites and bring them to life. I'm sure there are still plenty of Harry Potters running around conventions, or schoolyards for that matter. It's hard to measure such things, but I think books are more popular than ever. Along with that, I think people are craving escapist stories to a greater degree than I've seen before. This is a great time to be alive!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment