Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Leadership, particularly the curious qualities that surround them

Isn't it strange how some people can enter a room and immediately the entire room watches their every move? It's like leaders are surrounded with some sort of bubble that constantly draws attention to them. I've decided that this quality isn't always natural, but that it can be learned and used specifically. Sure, it's hardly groundbreaking information. Leaders are made, as well as born.

Even solitary writers can be leaders, and by working on leadership qualities it comes across through the stories they create. The extra effort makes things more realistic. Don't get me wrong though, I'm no expert and I'm certainly not a three star general. I only know that within the boundaries of storytelling that leadership shouldn't be faked.

The best example I've seen in a book is "Icefire." In it there's a general who behaves like a general should, and his leadership is rock solid. I've read the book a dozen times--and it's a whopper of a story--but I love the insight it provides into how generals work. I imagine the authors spent a lot of time researching generals and how the military functions. It would be such a treat to meet such remarkable people.

Leaders are special, but not unique. We all have within us the ability to lead others. I think learning leadership also helps us throughout our lives; to be less passive, to take charge, and to go after those things we desire most. Leaders make things happen, it's what they live for.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment