Monday, May 4, 2015

Stories that change everything

In my life of reading, I've found a few precious stories so intense they made me cry, made me dream, and made me curl up in a ball. It's incredible what a good story can do. And, when we find stories like these they become treasure to cherish and share. We find ourselves talking about them, bringing them up as side moments in conversations, and pausing to think about them at crazy times. They affect us deeply, probably more than we imagine, and end up changing everything.

I'd offer up the "Truman Show" as one example. It's a Jim Carrey movie about the title character
being an unwitting star of his own reality television show. It's a brilliant setup and it radically altered the world's concept of reality shows (prior to it there really wasn't anything like it, but look now). The story is probably a bit silly, but wow what am impact it has at the end. I sure won't spoil it, but I'm sure anyone will enjoy it. Just make sure to watch it all in one uninterrupted sitting (bathroom breaks allowed) because otherwise you'll ruin the emotional impact.

"The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin is another powerful example. It's short, only a bit over 10,000 words. There isn't a word that doesn't need to be there. It is one of my favorite examples of a "character study" story, where what really matters are the people and not the situation/logic (because the logic of this story is defeated with a tiny bit of pre-planning by the company). It features an inescapable ending that never deviates, yet the tragedy of the moment is dynamite! What amazes me is how much you care for the doomed character, yet are also applauding the courage of the pilot to see it all through. Sure, there are concerns about other things, but I'm interested in the power of the story to make readers feel something strongly.

When we find any sort of story with power like these, we remember. Funny or sad, tragic or fortunate, easy-going or frantic, when we find a story we love we share it. That's one of the biggest reasons I write: I want to share what I love.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment