Monday, May 11, 2015

Simple pleasures are much more than "simple."

Understatement is a fact of life, I think. We do it all the time. How many times have we described a fantastic development as "good" just because we didn't want to brag? Or how about saying "I'm okay," when you have a broken arm? It's a bit crazy when you think about it. In the same way, we talk about the "simple pleasures" of life. Such things as stroking a cat's belly, or sitting with your children and watching a movie, or listening to a favorite song. What's so simple about those? Seems to me they are some of the finest things in life.

I think about how unbelievably connected we are today. It's something we take for granted, that we can tap in a phone number and speak with someone on the other side of the world (or, if they have Skype, you can video call)! What about going to the grocery store and getting nearly anything your fancies crave? Perhaps you'd like a new music album and you connect to iTunes and download it. Incredible. There are parts of the world without these treats, and they certainly see these gifts as the astonishing things they are.

Today I've been reminded of the little joys in life. Walking and standing, mostly pain free. My knee surgeries have gone well. I would get on my knees and thank the Creator--though kneeling is sadly beyond my capacity--because such "simple" things are a glorious gift each and every day. My children are happy and safe, my wife is beautiful and wise, and I am writing. How much more could I possibly ask? I am deeply grateful to have a voice to express these things, and I hope it's encouraged you to see beyond the bright, flashy, things and appreciate the simple things.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment