Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Monster Inside You

I've been thinking a lot about the remarkable book from long ago: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (free on Kindle right now). It's a classic story of the evil and good within us all, though in the story those two aspects are specifically put front and center where all sorts of havoc is caused. I'm sure everyone knows the story, how Dr. Jekyll makes a potion that releases Mr. Hyde in a kind of multiple personality disorder.

What makes this story fairly unique is that it's so obvious. Facing our own worst demons is the plotline of many stories, but this one puts it in a special place. Here the plot is that these two aspects of human life are inseparable, and splitting them apart is not only impossible but disastrous. I think the author was demonstrating how we must recognize the duality of our nature and carefully contain the evil within by an act of will. It's a powerful subject, touched on by most every religion I can think of, and yet we many times forget about this battle within ourselves.

Philosophizing aside, this story is ripe for remakes. I doubt it could ever really be done horribly, because the idea is so quickly relatable and powerful. I would be it could make an incredible movie, especially since the tragic hero is also the villain. I have seen the old black and white film, and it was good, but I'd bet modern cinematic storytelling could make this a very powerful experience. I'd love to see it. Especially with Hollywood on a kick of doing classics currently (even a new version of Frnkenstein is being done, called "I, Frankenstein").

Check out this story, if you've missed it. The author also wrote Treasure Island, also a worthy book to read if you haven't already.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment